In rolling around the idea of resolution vs. goal, I was really just struggling with the questions “where is my life going?” and “am I doing it right?”. The truth is, I don’t have the answer to either of those questions… but I have come up with my 2014 plan. I am calling it a plan because I tend to forget resolutions and get too overwhelmed with goals. This is more just my plan for what I will implement in life and let’s see how it goes. I call the plan: 3 steps forward 2 back!
3 steps forward:
- When I come into the house, I will lodge the IPhone into the docking station and leave it there. It will come in my pocket when I leave the house. (I am required to have it with me). But, i will actively not engage in it during peak Mommy-Daughter time except to skype or make play dates.
- I will organize 1 arts activity (aka more involved then coloring) per month. The Thanksgiving hands and feet making a turkey is a good example of the right level of involvement. Painting counts too.
- I will cook at least 2 meals per month with my daughter. Meals where she has substantive duties not just help rip lettuce or watch the shrimps boil.
2 steps back:
- I will go out and have special me time 1 time every 2 months. This could be a massage, girls night out, or dinner.
- I will attend weekly yoga classes on Friday over lunch.
Basically, I have been striking a pretty good work-life balance. Except, as a former boss pointed out last week, all I have is work-baby balance. I don’t have me in the picture. Self care is a hugely important part of resiliency and I need it in my life. To make this a priority, I know that I also need to prioritize how to make my time with my daughter the best it can be. So, this is my plan. 2014: I am ready.