It is official. We bought a car. This is the first car I have bought— and it is new to boot! So, here are my comments:
- Definitely test drive. There were cars that I ended up loving after driving (the Nissan Rouge AWD that we bought) and there were things that I found out that I didn’t realize earlier (RAV4’s back door opens like a real door thus making it hard to open if someone is parked behind you, and the Mitsubishi outlander dashboard was hard to read)
- We did end up negotiating via email. This worked better for me. I could get a quote and then go somewhere else and get them to match or beat it. I wouldn’t have been able to do this running back and forth.
- The phrase “out the door price” really helped as different dealers had different ways of calculating cost, extras, and fees. Thank you Dan for telling me that one!
- Although, we didn’t really care about the color, I love the bright blue of my brand new Nissan.
- We were really lucky we didn’t choose the Rav4 (our initial first choice) as it was recalled the day after we bought the car!
- I am learning that I simply don’t want to know if others got a better price or if I could have haggled down a little more (I probably could have). But, I just want to be happy with my new car and with the fact that my commute has gone from 120 minutes to 40 per day!